暾將出兮東方 The Sun Rises in the East

The sun is about to rise in the east.

暾将出兮东方

When living in the mountains, one must always rise early, for to lie sleeping in a state between waking and dreaming is detested by all one’s various friends in the mountains. At day-

在山中住,总要起得早,因为似醒非醒地眠着,是山中各样的朋友所憎恶底.破

break, one may not only quietly watch the transformations of the colored clouds;and listen closely to the lilting turns of the birds’ speech;sometimes, too, from the mountain peaks, the treetops, the reflections in the streams, and the faces of the villages,

晓起来,不但可以静观彩云底变幻;和细听鸟语底婉转;有时还从山巓,树表,溪影,村

there comes to us much ineffable delight.

容之中给我们许多不可说不可说的愉快.

We were staying in Shanyayan Pavilion. Once, just as the first light of dawn was breaking through, everyone was still asleep in bed, when at our ears

我们住在山压檐牙阁里,有一次,在曙光初透底时候,大家还在床上眠着,耳边

we dimly heard the singing of a band of boys and girls:

恍惚听见一队童男女底歌声,唱道:

“You who lie abed, awaken!

『榻上人,应觉悟!

The dawn-cock has urged you time and again;

晓鸡频催三两度,

——Do you not see—

君不见——

,」‘The sun is about to rise in the east,’

「暾将出兮东方,」

and a faint light already shines through the trees of the village ahead?

微光已透前村树?

!』You who lie abed, awaken!”

榻上人,应觉悟!』

This was followed by another refrain:

往后又跟着一节和歌:

“The sun is about to rise in the east!

『暾将出兮东方!

The sun is about to rise in the east!

暾将出兮东方!

Soon the newborn sunlight will clothe the world all around,

会见新曦被四表,

使.』and make my joy unending.”

使我乐兮无央.』

The singing continued, but sadly it receded into the distance, and we could no longer hear the words clearly.

那歌声还接着往下唱,可惜离远了,不能听得明白.

:『Xiaoxu said to me, “Is that not the song you taught the children at school ten years ago?How has it found its way here to be

啸虚对我说:『这不是十年前你在学校里教孩子唱底么?怎么会跑到这里唱

?』sung?”

起来?』

:『I said, “I too am greatly surprised;.』for even I myself had long since forgotten this song.”

我说:『我也很诧异;因为这首歌,连我自己也早已忘了.』

滿“With the air of decline written all over your face, of course you would forget it. It seems to me that now you mean to use a voice that praises light to praise

『你底暮气满面,当然会把这歌忘掉.我看你现在要用赞美光明底声音去赞

.』darkness instead.”

:『I said, “No, no—how could you ever understand me?In truth, darkness is not worth cursing, nor does light need praising. Light

我说:『不然,不然,你何尝了解我?本来,黑暗是不足诅咒,光明是毋须赞美底.光

can add nothing to you, and darkness can do you no harm; through what cause or circumstance, then, have you conceived a mind that distinguishes between them?If there must be something to praise,

明不能增益你什么,黑暗不能妨害你什么,你以何因缘而生出差别心来?若说要赞

then in the morning one should praise the morning;at noon one should praise noon;at dusk one should praise dusk;in the long night

美底话:在早晨就该赞美早晨;在日中就该赞美日中;在黄昏就该赞美黄昏;在长夜

one should praise the long night;and at every moment of past, present, and future, one should praise every moment of past, present, and future. As for

就该赞美长夜;在过去、现在、将来一切时间,就该赞美过去、现在、将来一切时间.说到

.』cursing, the same holds true.”

诅咒,亦复如是.』

By then the morning sunlight was already shining upon our faces. We rose at once and planned that day’s excursion.

那时,朝曦已射在我们脸上,我们立即起来,计画那日底游程.

Loading the interactive reader…

What it’s about

At daybreak in a mountain lodging, the sleepers hear children singing a wake-up song: the sun is about to emerge in the east, light already passes through the village trees and everyone on the couches should awaken. One friend recognizes it as a school song the narrator taught ten years earlier. The narrator is startled because he himself had forgotten it; an old act has traveled beyond its maker and returns through unknown young voices.

His companion teases that age and weariness have made him ready to praise darkness instead of light. The narrator rejects the opposition. Darkness need not be cursed and light need not be praised, since difference arises from the mind's attachment: morning should be praised in morning, noon at noon, evening in evening and long night in long night. As sunlight reaches their faces, they rise and plan the day's excursion. Acceptance of every time does not mean staying in bed. The argument ends in ordinary activity, with dawn neither a moral victory nor an illusion to ignore.

When it was written 背景

暾 is a literary word for the newly risen sun, and the title's 兮 gives the children's lyric an archaic, songlike cadence. School songs were important vehicles of moral and national education in the late Qing and early Republic; that a former teacher hears his own forgotten song in a remote village suggests the unpredictable circulation of reform-era culture. His later refusal to privilege light sounds Buddhist in its warning against 差別心, discriminating attachment, while the call to “awaken” retains religious and educational force. Xu therefore places enlightenment rhetoric under gentle scrutiny rather than discarding it. Learners should contrast the parallel imperatives 應覺悟 and 該讚美 with the final practical verbs 起來 and 計畫: insight is verified by entering the day.

Words in this chapter 生词