The Sea

The Sea

:『My friend said, “The moment we venture out upon the sea, all human freedom and hope are utterly lost!For we count for far too little;

我底朋友说:『人底自由和希望,一到海面就完全失掉了!因为我们太不上算,

amid these boundless waves, there is no way for our finite strength and will to make themselves felt.”

在这无涯浪中无从显出我们有限的能力和意志.

:『I said, “Though, floating here, we may not find everything quite to our liking, what we meet hereafter may perhaps lie beyond our

我说:『我们浮在这上面,眼前虽不能十分如意,但后来要遇着底,或者超乎我

strength and will. So, on a sea of raging winds and terrifying waves, we cannot say for certain that wherever we wish to

们底能力和意志之外.所以在一个风狂浪骇底海面上,不能准说我们要到什么地

go is where we shall arrive;便.』we can only preserve our lives for now, and let the billows toss us to and fro.”

方就可以达到什么地方;我们只能把性命先保持住,随着波涛顚来播去便了.』

We sat in an unsatisfactory lifeboat, watching the great ship that had carried us halfway across the sea before foundering slowly

我们坐在一只不如意的救生船里,眼看着载我们到半海就毁坏底大船渐渐

sink beneath the water.

:『My friend said, “Look—the ship that was to carry us to our destination is about to come to rest forever!Now, upon this vast and

我底朋友说:『你看,那要载我们到目的地底船快要歇息去了!现在在这茫茫

.』empty sea, we have no idea what to do.”

的空海中,我们可没有主意啦.』

,『Fortunately, our fellow passengers were too anxious to pay heed to his words. I shook his hand and said, “My friend, is this the time for idle discourse??』Will you not help us row?”

幸而同船底人,心忧得很,没有注意听他底话.我把他底手摇了一下说,『朋友,这是你纵谈底时候么?你不帮着划桨么?』

“Row??』That is easy enough—but where are we to row to?”

『划桨么?这是容易的事,但要划到那里去呢?』

:『I said, “On any sea, when circumstances like these arise, no one comes prepared with a plan, and no one can escape

我说:『在一切的海里,遇着这样的光景,谁也没有带着主意下来,谁也脱不了

.』drifting to and fro upon it. Let us simply row.”

在上面泛来泛去.我们尽管划罢.』

Loading the interactive reader…

What it’s about

Two friends sit in a lifeboat watching the larger ship that carried them halfway toward their destination sink. One declares that freedom and hope disappear on the sea because finite human ability and will cannot show themselves against limitless waves. The narrator agrees that no one can command an arrival amid storm and surf, but draws a practical conclusion: preserve life first and submit to being tossed until action is possible.

The friend continues asking where they should row if the destination has vanished. The narrator shakes his hand and points out that this is no time for abstract discussion; everyone else is worried and working. No traveler enters every sea with a complete plan, he says, and none can avoid drifting, so they should row anyway. The miniature refuses both mastery and paralysis. Purposeful action need not guarantee a destination, and uncertainty does not release the thinker from helping those in the same boat. Philosophy becomes useful only when it can coexist with the ordinary stroke of an oar.

When it was written 背景

Sea travel was part of Xu Dishan's biography and a recurring source of imagery in his writing, linking coastal China, Taiwan and Southeast Asia. In early Republican prose the foundering ship could readily suggest a nation, a civilization or a life project, but Xu keeps the allegory open enough to resist a single political key. The lifeboat turns the idiom “in the same boat” into a literal ethical demand for shared labor. His stance combines acceptance of forces beyond individual will with insistence on action, a balance that can be read through both Buddhist and Christian elements in his thought. Learners should track the contrast between 到那裏去 and 儘管划: the first asks for certainty about ends, while the second commands present participation.

Words in this chapter 生词